There are two kinds of marketing tactics: the good kind, and the bad kind.
The bad tactics are everywhere. Chances are, you’ve read about them many times. In fact, we have seen so much bad tactical advice that we’ve even established a little categorization system:
- Platform-itis. “Want to get more customers? Then you have to be on Twitter/Periscope/Snapchat/Medium/etc!” Without a solid understanding of how to reach your ideal customers, you won’t benefit from the latest, hottest platform.
- Check Your Privilege. “Here’s how we sold out our $8,000 product in 24 hours. Wanna do the same?” Somehow, the creators of this kind of content always neglect to mention their existing assets: a massive email list, prominent JV partners, five-figures-a-day advertising budget, and so on.
- An Unrepeatable Test. “We changed the color of this one button on our landing page and our conversions increased by 1,500% – whoa!” Weirdly specific experiments that don’t go into the strategy behind the changes, or why those changes worked, are useless.
There’s more where that came from (we really like having fun of other people’s advice), but you get the idea. Most marketing tactics belong in the bad pile. But not all of them…
Believe it or not, there is a precious minority of truly remarkable marketing advice that’s tactical, universally applicable, and effective. We are talking about tiny but incredibly powerful tweaks and hacks you can use right now to grow your business.
All you need is:
- Something that you’re already selling, with decent results.
- A number of existing customers, clients, prospects, and leads.
- Some time on your hands to apply this advice.
Today’s guest on the Get Genius podcast is an expert at formulating and teaching these tactics. He calls them “marketing multipliers” because that’s literally what they do… and we convinced him to share some of them in this week’s episode!
For this installment of the podcast, we have interviewed Kevin Donlin – a marketing and copywriting Genius with over 20 years of experience under his belt.
Here’s a little bit of background about Kevin:
- His path as an online entrepreneur started way back in 1994, selling ebooks online. People paid him by check, and had to mail it to a post office box. Twenty years ago, that was ecommerce for you!
- Since 1998, Kevin has been a copywriter and marketing advisor for clients big and small. His web pages, emails, sales letters, and print ads convert like gangbusters, routinely producing gains of $1 million or more.
- Kevin is also the author and co-author of 5 books on marketing and entrepreneurship, including his new book “Marketing Multipliers.” He has been interviewed by ABC-TV in Detroit, Fox and NBC News in Minneapolis, CBS Radio in Los Angeles and New York, The Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Fortune magazine, Entrepreneur magazine, and many others.
If you are looking for a way to land more clients without breaking the bank with ads and other costly marketing tactics, Kevin is the man to see. So, without further ado, enjoy today’s interview!
Here’s what you will learn:
[00:15] Introducing Kevin
[05:20] Kevin’s entrepreneurial story
[12:48] Why empathy is one of the strongest assets in your marketing
[19:40] Useful systems for “cloning” clients
[20:18] Kevin’s marketing multipliers
[22:01] How to send a “paper email” that will get a 90% open rate
[20:28] Getting more out of your best clients
[31:30] Smarter. Faster. Better