I have followed Dr. Benjamin Hardy on Medium for a while now, and he is an incredible guy that I am so honored to have on the show today. Ben is an organizational psychologist and best-selling author of Will Power Doesn’t Work, as well as blogs that are featured Forbes, Fortune, CNBC, and more. He joins the show today to talk about his new book, Personality Isn’t Permanent, and how he is debunking pervasive personality myths that have saturated pop culture.
If you have taken an Enneagram quiz or the Myers-Briggs assessment, this episode will be especially important for you to hear. Listen in as Ben explains how unscientific these tests actually are and what we need to watch out for with them. You’ll learn why you should be seeking to create your personality rather than seeking to merely discover it, why personality myths may be doing more damage than good, and the truth about the power you have over your personality.
In this episode, we cover topics such as:
- Why personality tests can be destructive.
- How labeling ourselves can negatively impact us and others.
- The power you have over your personality.
- How trauma impacts our personality.
- Destructive societal myths surrounding personality.
- Understanding our own personality and how it changes.
- How to make radical change in your life.
Please enjoy today’s episode — and visit the resources below to find everything mentioned in the show!
What you will hear:
[2:27] Introducing Dr. Benjamin Hardy.
[8:44] How Ben became interested in psychology.
[12:02] Why personality tests are harmful.
[18:03] How your role predicts your personality and the unreliability of personality tests.
[24:23] Why people are so drawn to identity tests.
[29:18] How you can change yourself.
[34:48] How context brings empathy and understanding.
[37:30] The importance of developing your emotions.
Ideas Worth Sharing:I can change my role, I can change my environment, and I can change myself. - @BenjaminPHardy Click To Tweet From a psychology perspective, there’s no such thing as personality types. There is no white or red or blue—that is a really surface level way of looking at people. - @BenjaminPHardy Click To Tweet When you have a label, it leads you to being mindless. You’re mindless to all the times the label isn't. - @BenjaminPHardy Click To Tweet
- Dr. Benjamin Hardy: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | LinkedIn
- Personality Isn’t Permanent by Dr. Benjamin Hardy
- Will Power Doesn’t Work by Dr. Benjamin Hardy
- Stephen Covey
- Adam Grant
- Mindfulness by Ellen Langer
- Counterclockwise by Ellen Langer
- Daniel Gilbert – The Psychology of Your Future Self TED Talk
- Dr. Gabor Mate
- Waking the Tiger: Healing Trauma by Peter Levine
- I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell by Tucker Max
- The Draw Shop
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
Are you subscribed to Backstage Business? If not, I strongly suggest you do. This way you won’t miss a thing! Subscribe here: Backstage Business
And here’s what we would be the ultimate supreme: If you left me a review on for Backstage Business as well. This will help other genius business leaders and entrepreneurs like you find the podcast.
Plus, it would be super fun for me to get to enjoy my morning coffee while reading them! Just click here, click open in iTunes, select “Ratings and Reviews”, tell me your favorite moment and best takeaway and I may just send you a really cool token of thanks!