Video is the most versatile marketing tool available to entrepreneurs, hands down.
But 99 times out of 100, businesses use it for one thing: generating leads.
Now, don’t get me wrong — creating a consistent flow of high-quality leads is critical to the success of any business. And if your company is just getting started with video marketing, it makes sense to prioritize that.
However, video is capable of so much more!
You can use it to validate new offer ideas, attract amazing talent to work for you, turn first-time buyers into lifelong customers, and even…
Wait, I’m getting ahead of myself. If I’m going to show you some creative strategies to grow your business with video, I’d better do it with a proper explanation and some real-life examples. So that’s exactly what we’re going to focus on today!
This week, I’m sharing 5 business-boosting video marketing strategies that go beyond good old lead generation we all know and love. Or at least, they tackle lead gen in a new, more creative way.
Read on, and you will learn:
- How to use video to generate sales on a new product or service… before you create it
- Why recruitment videos can be your new secret weapon to solve hiring challenges
- The #1 method to deliver your message to new audiences of ready-to-buy customers
- How to make first-time buyers come back to purchase from you again and again
- A devastatingly effective strategy to attract hot prospects to your offer
And more. Let’s get started!
1. Pre-sell almost anything — before you create it
No matter how long you’ve been in business, launching something new always feels daunting. What if you invest a ton of time, money, and work into a product, put it out into the world — and get only crickets in response?
It happens all the time, even with established companies who know their market inside and out. Even giants like Apple and Google had multiple products that flopped hard!
So what can you do if you want to avoid pouring a ton of resources into an idea that might not have legs?
Simple: you flip the script and sell before you build. Market your upcoming product, get people to vote with their wallets, and then leverage those funds and initial traction to create the thing!
Producing a pre-sale video is a terrific strategy to generate buzz and early sales for a new offer. You don’t have to look hard to find great use cases of that — just look at every successful crowdfunding campaign ever!
But my favorite example of this strategy in action comes from one of our star clients, Greg Reid.
Greg is a world-famous performance coach and motivational speaker with a client roster that includes the Pentagon, NASA, and hundreds of other household names.
When Greg set out to write a book that would cement his authority in the industry, he didn’t want to leave anything up to chance. So he asked us to create a book proposal video for him — something he could use to pitch publishers on his book idea.
So that’s exactly what we did. And Greg leveraged his book proposal video to secure a 6-figure deal with Penguin Random House, one of the biggest publishers in the world…
…all before he wrote even one word of the manuscript!
2. Attract top talent to join your company with a recruiting video
Even though it doesn’t always impact your revenue and sales directly, hiring can easily make or break the trajectory of your business growth.
An exceptional teammate can bring profitable ideas to the table, find innovative and efficient ways to do their job, or be absolutely amazing at communicating with customers. But the wrong person in a key role can slow down your growth — or even completely reverse it, wiping out months and years of everyone’s hard work!
That’s why all the leading brands in the world obsess over hiring so much.
They know what a monumental challenge it can be to attract the right person for the job. To find someone who’d be a great fit not just at the basic level of qualifications and competence, but also…
…Culture. Values. Vision. All those intangible things that separate a good teammate from an exceptional one.
And that’s where a recruiting video can come in handy! It allows you to “broadcast” a lot of important messages to potential candidates that you can’t convey through text:
- Workplace atmosphere, looks, and perks
- Personalities and vibe of their future coworkers
- The big-picture values and vision of your company
Don’t get me wrong: it’s not like it’s 100% impossible to capture all of these in a different format — just much harder to pull off. Not to mention it would take way longer!
With a hiring video, job seekers can grasp everything they need to know about the role, and your company, in seconds. (Well, okay, more like a few minutes.) Your message will resonate with the right candidates, repel the wrong ones, and your hiring pipeline will fill up with the best of the best early on!
Would you like an example? Well, here’s a great recruitment video from Zendesk that shows how it’s done. In just 3.5 minutes, they show off the location, the team, the workplace, the wild growth Zendesk has experienced… and of course — the culture and values of the company.
3. Generate buzz for your brand with a collaboration video
Influencer collaborations are becoming more and more common in video marketing — and with good reason. Influencers tend to have more “pull” with their audiences than brands do, and being able to infuse your message with that level of trust and credibility is a huge opportunity.
Plus, doing a creative collab with someone makes your video stand out more, increasing the odds that viewers will pay attention and remember it!
So: who should you collaborate with, and what should the format of your video be? Because there are so many variables — like your industry, your target market, the video platform you’re choosing etc. — I can’t give you a fumble-proof recipe… but I can provide you with some guidelines to follow:
- Never choose potential collaborators based on audience size. It’s tempting to hitch your wagon to the hugest name you can, but trust me: don’t. Instead, always focus on audience quality — as in, the share of your ideal customers following that influencer.
- Be flexible on how involved you’re going to be as a collaborator. Sometimes all you’ll do is suggest a topic; other times, you’ll co-produce everything about the video; and most of the time, your collab will fall somewhere in between the two extremes.
- Keep an open mind about who you can collaborate with. All the prominent influencers and thought leaders are already inundated with offers. Find someone less obvious and really go the extra mile to make them a compelling proposition.
I’m going to share with you two examples of creative, out-of-the-box collaborations to show you what I mean.
- Back in 2016, we worked with rapper and artist Prince Ea on his music video about marijuana legalization. The Draw Shop contributed a whiteboard animation explaining the science and politics around weed (starts around 1 minute in). To date, this music video has exposed almost 2.5 million people to our work, and we’re super proud of it!
- Kotex (makers of menstrual hygiene products) teamed up with Simone Giertz, a Swedish inventor / robot maker, on a video where she built a “period cramp machine” to educate people about menstruation — and cleverly show just how strong period cramps can be. A robot maker doesn’t seem like the first choice for a collab on women’s health and menstrual hygiene, but it worked!
4. Turn first-time buyers into lifelong fans with onboarding videos
Building a thriving business isn’t about getting as many new customers as possible…
…it’s about having as many repeat customers as possible.
Long-term, loyal customers are the lifeblood of any company — no matter what it sells, or what industry it’s in. They provide this rarest of luxuries that any business could ask for, a.k.a. stable, predictable revenue.
And the best part is, it’s much easier to sell to an existing customer than to acquire a new one. About 60-70% easier, in fact!
So how can you persuade your existing clients or customers to buy from you again, and keep buying for years to come? It’s simple: you do everything in your power to help them make the most of your product or service as soon as they purchase for the first time.
In order to do that, you want to invest in a great onboarding experience. Produce onboarding videos that teach your new customers how to:
- Start using their new purchase as soon as possible without any friction
- Smartly leverage your product or service to get the results they need (and then some!)
- And last but not least — how to ask for help in case anything goes wrong
By ensuring that your customers or clients succeed with your product or service — early and dramatically — you will keep them coming back to buy from you. And this is how you get loyal customers for life!
For a great use case of effective onboarding videos, check out this series from Xero, who make accounting software for businesses. It’s the perfect combo of informative and ever-so-slightly promotional.
5. Flood your pipeline with hot prospects using giveaway videos
Okay, you got me. Technically, this strategy falls under the umbrella of lead generation. But it’s a much more creative, clever way to attract leads into your funnel than the ol’ “make a video, put it online, pray it gets traffic” approach.
It works like this:
- Choose a prize — something that your ideal customers would want real bad… but anyone outside of your target market would feel indifferent about.
- Determine the giveaway conditions. Usually you want to have a deadline and to make sharing the giveaway your #1 win condition. I.e. the more someone shares it, the higher their chances of winning.
- Create your giveaway. You want people to sign up for it using their contact info and spread the word… so it makes sense to use a solution that can do both lead capture and share tracking. You can use a WordPress plugin or dedicated software, e.g. KingSumo.
- Create your giveaway announcement video and post it everywhere your audience can see: your site, your email list, your socials etc.
- Watch the leads roll in! And at the end of the giveaway, choose the winner and deliver the prize.
Unlike regular lead gen campaigns, giveaways have the potential to reach a lot more people, because sharing is backed into the process. And using a giveaway video further amplifies your message thanks to a more engaging format!
Pro tip: you can also put a spin on this formula and do a contest for your audience. A contest is very similar to a giveaway, except you ask your customers to do something (record a video, make something, etc.) in addition to spreading the word. This is a highly effective way to get some amazing user-generated content for future marketing campaigns.
Here’s an awesome example of the giveaway strategy done right: this artist specializing in flipbook animation gave away 100 flipbook kits to his audience. He leveraged the giveaway to kill two birds with one stone: growing his Facebook following and generating a ton of sales thanks to people who didn’t win!
Unlock the full potential of video with Unlimited Video Content
What if I told you that my team here at The Draw Shop can create as many high-converting videos for you as you want… all for a fixed monthly investment?
Unlimited Video Content is our newest service package for brands looking to create high volumes of business-boosting videos — for a variety of business and marketing goals, in a wide range of styles, and with consistently mind-blowing quality.
- As many videos as you want to create, with no limitations on length
- A dedicated video team assigned to you: 2 Project Managers, Copywriter, Art Director, Storyboard Artist, Filming Artist, Editor
- Unlimited revisions at every stage of the process (normally we only offer 2 rounds)
- 6 distinctive video styles to choose from: 2D Animation, Motion Graphics, Mixed Media, Whiteboard Animation, Chalkboard, and Glassboard.
And much more.
Interested? Then check out Unlimited Video Content here!