Email is still king.
Even now, in 2021, it remains one of the highest-ROI marketing channels available to online entrepreneurs — generating as much as $44 for every $1 you invest in it.
Today, I want to show you a few strategies to increase the power of your email marketing even further, by combining it with another powerful tool… video marketing.
If you produce any kind of video content, and share it with your audience over email, this article will help you make the most of their synergy — and massively boost your conversions and sales.
Read on, and you will learn:
- How you can use video to boost open and clickthrough rates on your emails.
- 3 ways to entice your email subscribers into watching your video content.
- The #1 thing to include in your marketing emails to attract more viewers.
- And how to make sure your improved email metrics translate into ROI.
Then let’s start with one incredibly simple yet effective technique…
1. Put “video” in the subject line to boost open rates
Your subject line is the 2nd most important element of your email (the most important one being the “From:” field).
It pretty much single-handedly determines whether people will open and read your email… or let it float gently down to the bottom of their inbox, never to be seen again.
So if you’re sharing new video content with your email subscribers, make sure that they know right away what’s inside. Just mentioning the word “video” is often enough to produce a substantial lift in open rates.
How substantial? Well, according to this case study by SuperOffice, putting “video” in your email subject line can add 6% to your open rate. Better yet, it also seems to have an impact on your clickthrough rate, too — boosting it by as much as 56%!
This is especially useful if you send a lot of emails to a big audience. Usually, it leads to modest open rates, because people can’t keep up with everything you do. That’s OK… but it does mean that you need to work a bit harder to make your most important emails stand out.
So if you don’t want your awesome video to get overlooked, make sure you tease it right there in the subject line!
2. Tease the video content in your email copy
It’s not enough to just say, “Hey, go watch our new video! [link]” — and expect your subscribers to come running, eager to see what that’s all about.
People will only click through and consume that content you’ve worked so hard to create if you answer their #1 question…
“What’s in it for me?”
In other words, give them a compelling reason to watch your new video. Or better yet, several reasons! Here are my 3 favorite ways to do that — feel free to use any one of them, or even all of them at once:
- Promise value. Break down what your subscribers will learn from the video. Not just in terms of lessons / information… but also benefits and results they can achieve by implementing them.
- Entertain / spark curiosity. Hint at something interesting / cool / funny in the video without fully revealing what it is. You can even share a specific timestamp for added mystery. For example: “I’ll even share my own embarrassing story about sales at 06:09.” Or, “Stick around until 08:25 if you want to see my dog crashing the shot. Sorry about that!”
- Call them out. Name the audience the video is meant for, and the problem it’s going to solve for them. For example, “If you own a Shopify store and need more organic traffic, this video will give you the exact SEO playbook for that.”
3. Experiment with visuals to increase engagement
Now, while hyping up your video in email copy is important… but let’s not forget: this is a visual medium! And emphasizing that aspect in your email will help attract more viewers.
You can do this in any number of ways, but I recommend these two…
- Add a screenshot from your video to the primary call to action. You can insert the video thumbnail as is, or use a particular frame — e.g. if you have an infographic / data visualization in your video, you can showcase that! Make sure that your image also links back to the video, in case people click on it. You can put a Play button on it to emphasize that it’s interactable.
- Record a short outtake from the video as an animated GIF, and embed it in your email (this can also be a link). This has the added benefit of showing off your video in action, and you can use it to tease valuable content or share an entertaining moment!
Smart use of visuals is great for increasing clickthrough rates — be sure to experiment with different formats and styles until you find the ones that work for you and your audience!
4. Don’t forget the fundamentals — a great viewing experience
Getting your subscribers to open the email and click through to the video is only half the puzzle…
You also want them to watch the content all the way through and take action on it. Otherwise, your email metrics will look great on paper — but they won’t translate into a meaningful increase to your ROI down the line. And we don’t want that!
That’s why it’s so critical to create a smooth, engaging viewing experience for your audience. As a bare minimum, your video needs:
- An eye-catching title and thumbnail, especially if you’re showing either of those in your email. Besides, your subscribers aren’t the only ones who might discover your video — so make sure these elements hold up!
- A gripping intro. The first 5 seconds of your video are crucial for audience retention, so you want to make those count.
- A clear, effective description. When people aren’t sure whether to watch the video or not, they often turn to the description.
- Closed captions, if you can provide them, should always be included. This will help viewers remember the content of the video better, it’s important for accessibility, and it helps your video SEO.
- A clear and specific CTA will make sure that your subscribers take action on your video, and not just passively consume it.
- And finally, if you’re hosting your video on your own website, give it a well-designed landing page that doesn’t distract people from the content. Also, consider disabling autoplay on the video.
Let us help you create your next high-converting marketing video
Over the years, we’ve created hundreds of high-converting videos for brands across dozens of industries. Education, biotech, manufacturing, finance, coaching, real estate, petroleum, pest control – you name it, we’ve done it!
We invite you to take advantage of our genius marketers, silver-tongued copywriters, and absurdly talented artists and videographers to create a marketing video you’d be proud of.
We used to do only whiteboard animation – not anymore! Now you can work with us to create awesome marketing videos in a variety of styles:
- Live action
- Motion graphics and cartoon animations
- Virtual Reality Animation
- Digital stop motion animation
- 2D character animation
Interested? Then click here to get a risk-free quote and tell us about your dream explainer video — and one of our marketing experts will get back to you post-haste!
Looking for something smaller… but still more than powerful enough to grow your business? We can craft an irresistible Elevator Pitch that will help you grab your prospects’ attention in less than 30 seconds. Learn more about it here